Wednesday, July 16, 2014

BIRD KEEPING FASCINATION~MY STORY


                                                       Sandy and Kiwi(Jan 2014)

Ever since I was a child I was fascinated by birds, especially parrots...it was a common sight some 20 yrs back to see a man on a cycle selling Indian ring necks on the roads, and everytime my heart would skip a beat and I would want one, Initially I was indulged in by my parents, but now in retrospect I think was I really equipped to keep them, care for them and provide them at that time?Sure the fascination with the bright plumage, dazzling colours, the beauty as well as the comic playfullness all pulled me towards these feathered beauties, but I was a small child and little did I know that all this would have such a huge impact on me.
Almost 20 yrs down the line and I have traumatic memories of my early birdkeeping years, Indian ring necks sold by the dozen as cheap as Rs20-30/- everywhere in the bazars in football size cages were amongst my first purchases, needless to say on a diet of bajra (millet), the cramped space and the odd chilli they were dead in less than a month, leaving me incapable,helpless, guilty and weeping.
The internet was unheard of, the bird seller was dishing out smooth sales talk and mostly passing off sick birds to unsuspecting buyers like myself and all if this took a toll on me and the birds.
After a couple of months of recovery, this pattern was repeated till finally my parents, totally fed up, firmly put a stop to my birdkeeping hobby, instead I started diversifying and keeping other pets like rabbits, dogs, cats etc.
Almost after 2 decades the spark ignites again, and this time around I start with a pair of budgies, now I am on the verge of having my second generation of offsprings from this pair...
Here I want to share with you all the trials and the tribulations, delights and frustrations of my journey as well as whatever little knowledge I have gathered in the hope that birdkeeping as a hobby in India thrives and even if I am able to help even a single person, my job here is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment